• Knitting a sweater for my honey
  • Falling over in disbelief that school starts in less than two weeks
  • Trying to find a job
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York

Mom to two wacky kids, wife to a fun-loving guy, progressive, liberal, and way too soft-hearted. Okay, a pushover. Also, an obsessive knitter.

  • The Loopy Ewe

    Powered by Blogger

Friday, August 17, 2007

Introducing...SEEGER!

Well after four days of calling him everything from "Pooch" to "Mischief," the new puppy finally has a real name. In honor of one of our favorite activists and musicians our new puppy is named Seeger (for Pete Seeger). He's really an amazing little guy, very smart and curious. He already sits pretty consistently and we're working on "down" now. I think "stay" will be harder, because he's my little shadow. He follows me everywhere, which is kind of nervewracking because I'm trying to do my regular chores plus make sure he's not piddling (or worse) when I'm not looking. The good news is that he loves his crate, and doesn't complain when we put him in there to go out for a short while. His worst problem is that he's extremely nippy, and he's made both kids cry at one time or another. It's hard for them to understand that it takes time for the puppy to grow out of that behavior. I try to make sure to say to the dog, "You aren't allowed to hurt my son!" so that even though the dog doesn't understand, Ben sees that he's still higher in the pecking order than the dog.

He's really good about using the bathroom outdoors, although we of course are still having some accidents. Thank heaven for Nature's Miracle! Knock on wood, but so far we've only had to get up once in the middle of the night for a bathroom trip. He takes about three or four naps a day (usually pretty quick ones) and sleeps from about 10:30 until 6am. Not too bad. I hope it keeps up! Anyway, here are some photos for you, and I hope to find some time to scrap them soon. Thanks for sharing our joy!







Comments on "Introducing...SEEGER!"

 

Blogger Karen said ... (10:50 AM) : 

What a cutie! Congratulations on your new fur baby. He'll hopefully outgrow the need to be a shadow soon. I'm sure the kids are glad to have him, even if he does nip occasionally.

 

Blogger *~*Jill*~* said ... (2:12 PM) : 

ADORABLE!!

 

Blogger Pam said ... (5:37 PM) : 

Awww, he's too cute! Glad he's finally got a name! ;) I love the close up photo!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:00 PM) : 

Soooo cute!!

I've heard on a doggie podcast I listen to, that puppies nip in their play with each other as they establish the pecking order, but they yelp when it's too hard. So he suggested to have the kids make a loud yelp when he nips, to kick in that natural instinct to stop. But the yelping in the house might be just as annoying as puppy nips after a while... LOL ;) Anyway, there is a TON of helpful info at http://www.leerburg.com/

 

Blogger Megan said ... (10:15 PM) : 

what a CUTIE!!! Totally adorable and a great name picked!

 

Blogger busyizzie said ... (10:51 AM) : 

Cute puppy. Isn't Nature's Miracle the best ever?? Can't give you puppy nipping tips we've only rescued cockers from the pound that were older than puppies. The shadowing may never end, One of my two is always at my feet, he's black so he truly is a shadow. Glad to see you're all home safely.

 

Blogger TaniaJPS said ... (11:01 PM) : 

OMG!!!!! He is SOOOOOOOOOOOO cute.

 

post a comment