• Knitting a sweater for my honey
  • Falling over in disbelief that school starts in less than two weeks
  • Trying to find a job
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York

Mom to two wacky kids, wife to a fun-loving guy, progressive, liberal, and way too soft-hearted. Okay, a pushover. Also, an obsessive knitter.

  • The Loopy Ewe

    Powered by Blogger

Thursday, December 27, 2007

KnitwearNYC

Today we had tickets to see the Christmas spectacular at Radio City Music Hall. How many points do I get for KIP-ing (knitting in public, for you scrappers reading) in the audience before the show started? :P Sadly, I discovered after a few minutes that I was missing a stitch somewhere and had to stop because the lighting wasn't good enough to see what I had done wrong (turned out to be an accidental K2tog).

The best part, though, was walking around the streets before and after, admiring all the knitwear that I never truly noticed in winters past! There were lovely scarfs and cabled hats, and some absolutely gorgeous sweaters. I of course had on my Calorimetry with matching mittens, so maybe someone somewhere was scoping me out too.

The worst part was the crowd. I hate crowds. I grew up in rural North Carolina. There were cows across the street. Trying to cross the street in front of Radio City nearly gave me a panic attack. And that was nothing compared to the crowd in front of the tree at Rockefeller Center or the drive alongside suicidal cab drivers on the way home. I wish I loved NYC, I really do, but I don't. I tolerate it a couple of times a year. With heartfelt apologies to my city boy husband, who I tried to pacify by suggesting we spend our 10 year anniversary there. That was a fun trip, I'll confess, because we parked the car at the hotel and walked everywhere.

DH is going in to work tomorrow for the first time in almost a week. I plan to park the kids in front of some Pokemon videos and knit for a while. I need to calm my nerves after today's insanity. We may also visit Target to exchange the gift that Ben received that he already had, and maybe hit Borders too so the kids can spend their generous gift cards from my brother and his family. Who knows, I may even peek in the knitting book section for me!

Comments on "KnitwearNYC"

 

post a comment