• Knitting a sweater for my honey
  • Falling over in disbelief that school starts in less than two weeks
  • Trying to find a job
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York

Mom to two wacky kids, wife to a fun-loving guy, progressive, liberal, and way too soft-hearted. Okay, a pushover. Also, an obsessive knitter.

  • The Loopy Ewe

    Powered by Blogger

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Ugh, I feel like crap

I've had some cloggy throat issues for a couple of days, coupled with a decrease in my ability to taste. (Always a bad thing.) Today it's turning into a cloggy cough and I'm going to see the doctor. Every year this time I end up with either a sinus infection, or bronchitis, or strep. I'm not waiting this time for it to get so bad I can't stand it. I just hope they don't close down the schools while I'm sitting in the waiting room.

Other than that, I'm almost done with DH's first sock, and it is very lovely. I just sigh whenever I look at it. I know the second one will go faster because I'll know a bit better what I'm doing. I gotta get busy on Ben's socks, though...he asked me the other day where they were!

Things went as expected at Ben's teacher conference. He's brilliantly smart but incredibly distractable. He gets bored with the easy, repetitious work and as a result doesn't complete it. Which just puts him in this vicious cycle where the teacher can't mark him down as mastering the work because he hasn't done it, and therefore she can't challenge him with harder work. And he continues to be bored. I know it sounds so braggy but the fact is, he's scary smart. And since we can't afford to put him into a private school, we have to work around the liabilities of the public school system. That means we may try to supplement his regular school with a Saturday gifted program or something. Rebecca would likely qualify too (her teacher told us she might have her pulled from class to join a 4th grade reading group, since no one else in the 3rd grade reads on her level). So while we are definitely having issues, they aren't the worst issues we could have. Ben is immature and sensitive and overly dramatic. And he has major toileting issues still, which is probably the thing that bothers me most. But I just keep telling myself that when he's out wrecking my car I'll *wish* he was still little and pooping his pants.

Comments on "Ugh, I feel like crap"

 

Blogger Rach said ... (10:19 AM) : 

Well at least the meeting went as expected and you weren't thrown stuff you didn't already know. Sometimes I seriously doubt the public school system, because it rarely helps those that are advanced, or those that struggle. I guess that's what us parents are there for .. to do the extra work at home?

I think Rebecca and Hailey would get along famously if they ever met. Or maybe they'd just spend the whole time reading. bahahaha. Hailey and two other classmates have a special reading group with a teacher too, at their own level because they're more advanced then the other third graders. I think it's great because then she's not held back reading the 'silly little chapter books' as she puts it. Gah!

Hope you feel better SOON, and that cold doesn't drag on to long. Like everyone seems to be telling me .. Tis the Season to share those colds. Yuck!

 

Blogger Karen said ... (11:27 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger Karen said ... (11:29 AM) : 

Cindy, you poor thing. I hope you feel better. My husband wasn't able to sing in the cantata last Sunday because of the cruddy cough. As he said though, "It wouldn't be Christmas without it." Yes, it's an annual thing!

I can understand Ben's problems because I had the same ones in first grade. I was a reader and the rest of the class didn't even know their ABC's. I got bored and got into trouble. I know that teachers can be accommodating because my senior's calculus teacher lets him skate on the homework problems because he demonstrates on the first ones that he's got the concept and as long as he's passing his tests, she doesn't require the homework.

Hang in there, he'll survive school and grow up to be a smart, good person.

 

Blogger Pam said ... (7:59 PM) : 

Feel better my friend!

 

Blogger Chris said ... (11:07 AM) : 

Hope you're feeling a little better today. Take care of yourself and knit a little!!! Don't get me started on what the public schools don't do. Try having a kid who is gifted but also has learning (reading/spelling) disability. UGH!!!

 

post a comment