• Knitting a sweater for my honey
  • Falling over in disbelief that school starts in less than two weeks
  • Trying to find a job
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York

Mom to two wacky kids, wife to a fun-loving guy, progressive, liberal, and way too soft-hearted. Okay, a pushover. Also, an obsessive knitter.

  • The Loopy Ewe

    Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

I need a rewind this morning

Yesterday at our visit, the doctor told me Ben could go back to school today if he was feeling better. He said he was feeling good this morning so I got him all ready. Got him to dress and make his bed, then gave him his antibiotic dose and fed him some breakfast. About halfway through breakfast (oatmeal) he kind of pooped out. I knew he needed energy, so I actually fed him. He kept eating, but started saying that he didn't want to go to school after all. I thought he was just whining because he wanted to stay home with me again...you see where this is going, don't you? The nurse called a half hour later to say he was practically green and could I come get him. He was dreadfully ill and I have him home now. I wish I had listened to him when he said he wasn't feeling well. Does anyone have a rewind button for me?

I have a call in to the doc, because I'm not sure what to do now. First, I'm wondering if something in his breakfast interacted badly with the medicine. Maybe I shouldn't have given him milk to drink? Because he didn't react to the dose I gave him yesterday. I'm sure she'll tell me what to do next: if I need to try another medicine or just redose the one I have. With this new insurance plan we started on Jan 1 I have to pay full price for all prescriptions until we meet the deductible, so going out and buying a new antibiotic is a lot more painful than it used to be! I'm not used to paying more than $20 for an Rx, but DH assures me that this new plan is going to save us money. I believed him until I had to pay $119 for the medicine yesterday! That was hard!

And speaking of DH, he left this morning for Las Vegas. He's going to try and get back Thursday but most likely it will be late Friday. So not only am I a single parent for a couple of days, I'm a single parent ON A DIET with a sick baby. All I can say is, at least it isn't snowing. :sigh:

UPDATE:

This is kid is a real contender. I swear. I took his temperature around 10 and it was 102.2. He looked awful so I got him some Tylenol. He laid around for an hour or so, but once the meds kicked in he was ravenous. I brought up a piece of cheese toast, an extra slice of cheese (at his request) and a few grapes. A few minutes later he was done and asking for more of everything. He's up and walking around, solving the puzzles on one of his favorite shows (Crashbox on HBO) and laughing and joking. Since I'm not worried about him falling behind in his work, and I'm kind of a stickler for not sending them back to school unless they've been fever-free for 24 hours, he'll be home with me again tomorrow. But he's definitely doing much better. THank you for the kind comments. :D

Comments on "I need a rewind this morning"

 

Blogger Pam said ... (10:48 AM) : 

AWWW! Poor Ben! I'm sorry you are having a bad day! And yeah, how can that be saving money, let me know how that works out OK? LOL!

 

Blogger teabird said ... (11:51 AM) : 

Poor Ben, and poor you... Just take care of yourself, ok? We don't want a sick single mom...

 

Blogger Lisa said ... (12:32 PM) : 

if you find that rewind button, let me know where to get it! Sorry that Ben is feeling so bad. Get through this week, it will get better...

 

Blogger Rach said ... (7:11 PM) : 

Awww, sorry he's not feeling well but great that he perks up once his meds are in him.
And I say .. have a jammie day with him tomorrow. Jammie days are good for the soul! :)

 

post a comment