• Knitting a sweater for my honey
  • Falling over in disbelief that school starts in less than two weeks
  • Trying to find a job
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York

Mom to two wacky kids, wife to a fun-loving guy, progressive, liberal, and way too soft-hearted. Okay, a pushover. Also, an obsessive knitter.

  • The Loopy Ewe

    Powered by Blogger

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Summer of Fizzle

This is supposed to be the Summer of Socks. I signed up for the Summer of Socks contest. I cast on two pairs of socks on June 21st, the day the competition began. I actually stayed awake until 12:01 am on that date so I could cast on right away. And how many pairs of socks have I completed?

...

Yep. Nada. Now, one of the pairs I have on the needles is "done enough" to qualify for the contest. Each pair has to have at least 2" of cuff, and my Spring Forward socks have that. But I'm a big old Scrooge and want to use up all my yarn. So even though I could bind off and submit, I'm plugging away to use up the rest of the skein. Okay, well technically I'm not actually plugging away because I'm good and tired of socks and I cast on a sweater. Blush.

See, I have all this Peace Fleece to make my husband a Cobblestone Sweater, which is gorgeous, but then at camp my friend and I drove up to a large yarn store (WEBS) and I found the original yarn I wanted but couldn't afford. ON SALE. So I bought it, naturally, and now I have all this Peace Fleece just crying out to be made into a February Lady Sweater. So I cast that on yesterday and woke up in the middle of the night realizing what I had done wrong with the raglan sleeve increases. I hate that. So this morning I had to rip the ENTIRE thing back (it was only about 5 inches but still) and start over. So far I have maybe seven inches, one nice buttonhole and one raggedy buttonhole that will need a bit of corrective surgery later. And proper raglan sleeves. I'm pretty excited about how that one will turn out.

So the long and short of it is...Summer of Socks is not turning out how I pictured it. I'm a little less enthusiastic about socks than I was when I began. And since this whole knitting gig is supposed to be fun, after all, I'm going where my heart leads me.

Here are some photos of what I've got going on, but these are not my projects. These are samples done by knitters far superior to me (but I'm getting better every day!).

The Spring Forward socks:



The Cobblestone Sweater for my dearie:



And the February Lady sweater I'm making for myself:



As I say, these are NOT my own work. But I hope to have photos of what I'm working on sometime soon. And if not soon, then maybe when the kids go back to school. :sigh:

Comments on "Summer of Fizzle"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:51 AM) : 

I can relate completely! I'm doing summer of socks, too, and keep casting on non-sock related projects!

I'm about 25% of the way through my FLS, and I just started on Thursday. It is such a great knit, and I adore it. Good luck with yours!

 

Blogger busyizzie said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Have never attempted any socks. I had a pattern for an "easy peasy" scarf to use some ribbon I have stashed from a frogged project. I had to rip the darn scarf out (230 cast ons) 2 times and decided on another pattern. Needless to say it was the pattern not me.

Now I'm not happy with the width of the scarf so out, it comes again. At this point, the ribbon is starting to get a bit ratty. Unfortunately this ribbon has been more of a thorn in my side than anything.

 

post a comment