• Knitting a sweater for my honey
  • Falling over in disbelief that school starts in less than two weeks
  • Trying to find a job
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York

Mom to two wacky kids, wife to a fun-loving guy, progressive, liberal, and way too soft-hearted. Okay, a pushover. Also, an obsessive knitter.

  • The Loopy Ewe

    Powered by Blogger

Friday, May 30, 2008

A life fulfilled

Sorry to be a downer today, but I just want to write a little about a man who passed from this life early this morning. His name is Dewey, and he was a friend of my parents and the father of one of my brother's friends. I used to go over to their house and his son, Eddie, would let me play this really early computer game of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It was all text based and very nerdy and mind-blowingly cool at the time. I remember they also put in a pool one year, and they were the only family I knew with a pool. Dewey was a kind and gracious man. He was a dear friend to my father, even when they butted heads while playing Phase 10. Not too long ago he was diagnosed with brain cancer, and the disease progressed rapidly. He was moved to hospice about two weeks ago, where he was able to get up and down, talk, joke, eat, and enjoy his final days with his family up until earlier this week when he seemed to enter a twilight from which he never emerged. His son (who everyone calls Dewey now but who will always be Eddie to me) has been keeping everyone updated on his blog. I was stunned when this morning's message, entitled "newcomer," was actually announcing that he had passed early this morning. The title refers to the family's very strong faith that Dewey is now in a paradise called Heaven. I haven't yet reached my mom and dad to speak to them about it--I imagine they're with Dewey's wife, Judy, and I'd rather not interrupt them on the cell. But I know they are all grieving this morning, and I am with them in spirit. All my love and warmest sympathy go out to Judy, Eddie, Cindy, the grandkids, and all the brothers and sisters Dewey left behind.

Comments on "A life fulfilled"

 

post a comment