• Knitting a sweater for my honey
  • Falling over in disbelief that school starts in less than two weeks
  • Trying to find a job
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York

Mom to two wacky kids, wife to a fun-loving guy, progressive, liberal, and way too soft-hearted. Okay, a pushover. Also, an obsessive knitter.

  • The Loopy Ewe

    Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Done been snucked

So every week my new favorite online yarn shop has a "sneak up." She gets in new yarns and "sneaks" them into the store, only alerting her most loyal customers (known as Loopy Groupies). However, the Groupies are always kind enough to post a note on Sheri's Ravelry group letting everyone know that the sneak up has begun. Last night I was able to snag a Yarntini sock yarn that is already sold out, as well as another yarn that is sock-yarn weight but which I will be using to make my first lacy scarf. There are still some new things left in stock, and you can get to Sheri's site by clicking the Loopy Ewe link just to your right there. Only three more purchases and I'll hit Groupie status too! I'm trying to pace myself.

Also in my yarniverse I've learned the secret to creating two equal center-pull balls so that I can knit my socks two-at-once. Here's my technique:

1. Place digital kitchen scale on the table, then place a tabletop swift on the scale.
2. Zero out the scale (I hit the "tare" button on my scale).
3. Place the skein of yarn on the swift and find the outside end.
4. Check the weight on the scale. Because you zero'ed it out, that's only the weight of the yarn. Divide that number in half.
5. Using a ball winder, begin to wind the yarn from the outside strand.
6. Keep checking the number on the scale. When you reach the halfway number, stop and cut the yarn. Remove the ball from the ball winder.
7. Wind the rest of the yarn.

Easy peasy. Two perfect center-pull balls that won't roll around on you and that will help you to make lovely socks two-at-once. For more information on knitting socks two-at-a-time, check out Two-At-A-Time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes, or the well-photographed web tutorial at Come To Silver.

The Summer of Socks contest is nearly here. It begins June 21st, and I'm looking forward to focusing on the sock knitting while lounging around the pool and hanging out at camp. I do need to give some attention to the Cobblestone Pullover for my husband, so that he'll have it all ready to go by the time the cold weather arrives again. But I'm in that place where I feel like fall is WAAAY far off. I'll be kicking myself come September, but that's another worry for another day. I just love making socks! I've reached the cuff of the multi-colored socks I'm making for Rebecca, and since I knit continental now the ribbing is just flying off the needles. I'm so glad I converted! Kid socks don't count for the SOS contest, so I need to get these done before Saturday.

In other news, the window guys are here finally. We're replacing the 58 year old windows with new vinyl ones. About half the house has newer windows, but the other half, the ones we're getting rid of today, were so old and inefficient. I'm hoping this plus the new boiler will help us keep oil costs down this winter. The bad part is that I'm stuck in the house for two days, when I really need to hit the grocery store.

Comments on "Done been snucked"

 

post a comment