• Knitting a sweater for my honey
  • Falling over in disbelief that school starts in less than two weeks
  • Trying to find a job
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York

Mom to two wacky kids, wife to a fun-loving guy, progressive, liberal, and way too soft-hearted. Okay, a pushover. Also, an obsessive knitter.

  • The Loopy Ewe

    Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Ow

Okay, injuries seem to be rife around the house these days. The kids are fine, fortunately; it's the worn-out old folks who are having the problems. My husband injured his back trying to do some Wii Fit yoga, then fell down a couple of basement stairs last night due to someone irresponsibly leaving a laundry basket at the top of the stairs. Now granted, the fact that I was actually doing laundry should be to my credit, as should the fact that turning on the light before going down into the pitch dark basement is good policy. But I won't blame the victim here. So now he has a sore back and a sore knee to match. Me? Oh yes, I have achy Achilles tendons from my sun salutations this morning, plus I seem to have strained my forearm muscles doing rhythm boxing. If the exercise gods don't stop this nonsense, I'm going to start thinking they WANT me to be out of shape.

This is a pretty nutty week, as is next week, and then there will be a short lull before the chaos of summer vacation. We still have a ton of camp paperwork to fill out, which we've been procrastinating on. Yesterday was the much-anticipated school carnival, and I was lucky to be able to attend both the morning and the afternoon sessions. That way, I was able to see both kids playing and having fun. The lower grades were out from 9:30 to 12, and the upper grades from 12:30 to 3. In the morning I was working pretty much non-stop doing face painting. My specialty turned out to be dalmatians. I don't know if they were popular because I was good at them, or if I got good at them because I had to do so many. My only dissatisfied customer was my own son, which was good because anyone else and I wouldn't have been able to say "Sorry, dude, you'll have to deal." He asked me to make him a "red alien with green lines coming out of the corners of his eyes." That looked a little bland, so I gave him black around the eyes and lips. So then he looked like Spiderman. We thought about it for a while and decided he needed a yellow lightning bolt on his forehead. After that I had to throw in the towel. After a hot dog and an ice cream cone, plus all the sweat, it didn't last long anyway. In the afternoon I supervised the Dumbo ride. The extent of my duties was yelling at kids to put their feet down. The afternoon dragged a LOT longer than the morning. My daughter humored me by going on the ride once, but her time was pretty much taken up by the other, more exciting rides like the swings and the (small, safe) roller coaster. Here are a couple of photos of them with their bestest buddies.



Comments on "Ow"

 

post a comment