• Knitting a sweater for my honey
  • Falling over in disbelief that school starts in less than two weeks
  • Trying to find a job
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York

Mom to two wacky kids, wife to a fun-loving guy, progressive, liberal, and way too soft-hearted. Okay, a pushover. Also, an obsessive knitter.

  • The Loopy Ewe

    Powered by Blogger

Friday, January 11, 2008

Nightmare

I can hardly even talk about it. My gosh what a morning. Rain...not just outside either. I found myself out in the pouring rain on a ladder scooping disgusting piles of goop out of the gutters with my bare hands, scraping them up dreadfully in the process. At least it stopped the flood in the basement. Back inside, pots littered the floor of the kitchen catching all the rain that was coming in from a completely different leak that needs re-tarring. Can't really handle that one by myself, particularly since it's still rainy.

Dog is mending but not really interested in anything like sleeping or resting. I'm overcompensating for my guilt by giving him extra breakfast and lots of chewy treats. The more he chews on them, the less likely he is to lick his stitches...and I simply can't tolerate that darn Elizabethan collar thing anymore.

And husband is still away, completely and joyfully oblivious to the ruin that awaits him when he returns tonight.

Okay, okay, I'm being slightly overdramatic. But dealing with a leaky old house while also trying to get the kids (who are draggy on the best of mornings) ready for school AND deal with the walking-wounded dog was not my idea of a fun time. I still haven't had a shower and it's after 1:00. I did, however, return some library books today and stopped at Panera for take-out of soup and a nice warm sandwich. And I cast on a pair of two-at-a-time socks from the book that arrived last night, so that was fun and comforting at the same time.

Plus, I know that as long as we keep the gutters clean the water pretty much stays out of the basement, and I think the other leak will be a pretty easy fix if we can just get a sunny day to do it. So it's not so bad. It just all seemed to come at once, you know?

Comments on "Nightmare"

 

post a comment