• Knitting a sweater for my honey
  • Falling over in disbelief that school starts in less than two weeks
  • Trying to find a job
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York

Mom to two wacky kids, wife to a fun-loving guy, progressive, liberal, and way too soft-hearted. Okay, a pushover. Also, an obsessive knitter.

  • The Loopy Ewe

    Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Book Fair

I don't know why I let myself in for these things. I hate the fundraisers that they have at the school, not because I don't want to contribute but because they always seem to put such a breach between the "haves" and the "have nots" of the community. Seeing a small child walking around with hands in pockets and tears in eyes, knowing he can't buy a book from the book fair because his parents couldn't afford it, just breaks my heart. And yet I continue to support the sales by showing up and giving my kids money to buy things. I say, "The money is going to a good cause." And yet I know the sadness these less privileged kids must be feeling. And then there are the kids whose parents would have sent money but simply forgot. They make me want to cry, they look so sad standing there.

Now I'll grant you, when I'm working at the book fair, like today, the kids with no money seem to be the ones who ask me the prices on eleventy-million items. Then they want me to add it up in my head. Didn't you just come from math class, kid? Figure it out. You don't have any money? Then why do you CARE how much it costs? Criminy.

Anyway, I do like this particular book sale they have at the end of each year, because it's the half-off sale. Last year I got "The Invention of Hugo Cabret" for half price, and this year it won the Caldecott Award. How forward-thinking of me, yes? This year I got another cool-looking book for Rebecca and a half-priced I Spy game for the DS for Ben. Come on, could I turn down half price? It would be foolish.

I think it's time I admitted I have a problem. Yes, I'm going to come forward and be honest right here, right now. I have a problem...with sock yarn. This is my current stash:

100_2606

This is enough yarn to make 23 pairs of adult-sized socks. I don't think I even own 23 pairs of Target socks. So on this, my road to recovery, I take my first step by admitting that I have a problem with sock yarn. And in taking this first step, I think to myself, "Wow, walking this difficult path would be a lot easier if I had a nice cushy pair of handknitted socks on. I wonder what new colors they have in at the local yarn shop."

Someone, send help.

Comments on "Book Fair"

 

Blogger Linda Hosey said ... (9:44 PM) : 

A woman that knits can never have enough yarn. Isn't that the same as saying, you have too many rubberstamps.

 

Blogger teabird said ... (10:05 PM) : 

What Linda said -
and, it's the same as saying you have too much oxygen!

 

Blogger Chris said ... (12:40 PM) : 

LOL, or scrapbook paper (remember the day?) I would say 'SCRAP THAT PHOTO', but do you scrap anymore?

Hahaha, my word verification is
ddooom. Is that an omen? Plus it's one I can actually type without having to think too hard.

 

Blogger Kate said ... (1:49 PM) : 

You know it's a crime to have an ODD number of sock yarns, right? You need to have an even number, all in pairs - so buy some more, girlie, go on!

 

post a comment