• Knitting a sweater for my honey
  • Falling over in disbelief that school starts in less than two weeks
  • Trying to find a job
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York

Mom to two wacky kids, wife to a fun-loving guy, progressive, liberal, and way too soft-hearted. Okay, a pushover. Also, an obsessive knitter.

  • The Loopy Ewe

    Powered by Blogger

Monday, January 28, 2008

What can I do?

I'm sort of staring around me helplessly. Ben has had two accidents at school in the past two days. We had about a month there where he was back on track and keeping dry every day, and now this. I'm not there! I can't remind him to do what he needs to do! I don't think it's right to punish him for it. All I can do is talk to him about it, and he tunes me right out the minute I start. If I sit him down in the kitchen he picks something off the counter and starts fiddling with it while I talk. If I take him to a quiet place with no distractions around, he plays with his hands or jumps around in his seat. Honestly, days like these I *do* think he has ADD. Other days I'm convinced it's not possible. I'm just completely nonplussed, and out of ideas.

In addition, he was sitting in the nurse's chair asleep again. I've been keeping to the regular bedtime schedule while DH is out of town, starting baths around 7:30, everyone in bed by 9:00. Mostly, Ben is asleep by 9:15 and sometimes sooner. But he gets up early. I think he was up around 5:30 this morning, because I heard him jumping around up here. Now, I can put him to bed earlier, but I sure can't make him stay asleep in the morning. The nurse is extremely nice to me, but she was questioning me about his bedtime since he was like this on Friday too. I don't blame her. I just don't know what to do. (that's the theme of this blog post, if you didn't figure it out yet)

I have a couple of ideas. First, I've already decided that we watch too much TV on school days. Generally there's no TV after dinner but there is computer. So I'm going to set a "one 30-minute TV show and one 30-minute computer session" limit. Also, no Nintendo after dinner. Only books or games. Maybe limiting the electronics will help them be calmer and more ready for sleep when bedtime comes. I also think I need to eliminate MY computer time once they're home from school. More personal time with me will make them calmer as well (and less likely to fight, since I'll be right there). I'll be the first one to tell you that I use the computer to escape. But that has to stop. I have plenty of computer time while they're at school, believe me.

Okay, nearly time to go to the bus. I think my first package from my first sock yarn club should arrive today. Better go check the mailbox. And take some deep breaths to start this new program (which I know will be met with plenty of grumbles and moans).

Comments on "What can I do?"

 

Blogger Lisa said ... (3:54 PM) : 

Ben and Hannah seem to have some similarities that help me totally feel your helplessness. I don't have any answers as we are still muddling through, but hopefully your new strategy will work out. Stay strong!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:30 PM) : 

Has your pediatrician run any thyroid tests? Kids can have problems as well as adults.

 

post a comment