• Knitting a sweater for my honey
  • Falling over in disbelief that school starts in less than two weeks
  • Trying to find a job
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York

Mom to two wacky kids, wife to a fun-loving guy, progressive, liberal, and way too soft-hearted. Okay, a pushover. Also, an obsessive knitter.

  • The Loopy Ewe

    Powered by Blogger

Sunday, November 04, 2007

I survived!!!!

Yes I did, I survived gall bladder surgery. I can't say I enjoyed it, but it's good to know it's gone. The surgeon said that I had HUNDREDS of small stones, so it's pretty safe to say that we did find the source of the pain.

First, I have to tell you that the waiting was the worst part. I was scheduled to go into the OR at 1:30 and didn't get there until almost 3:00. Since I hadn't seen the doctor yet, they waited to put me under until he had arrived and had spoken to me. Then the anesthesiologist said, "You're going to go to sleep now!" and I said, "Okay." And then I lay there for a minute and said, "I'm not asleep yet." I didn't want them to start cutting, lol. And she said, "Don't worry it takes a minute. Just take nice slow deep breaths." And the next thing I remember I hear someone talking about Starbucks and I'm trying to croak, "Hey, I want Starbucks too." Then someone puts my glasses on my face and I say, "Can I please have some water?" and she says, "No, honey, you just came out of surgery two minutes ago." They told me Dan had gone home to have dinner with the kids and his mom, and I got moved pretty quickly from Recovery to my room. I had to share with two older ladies who were in real pain all night long, so it was very difficult to sleep. One of them turned on her TV to some war movie, tons of gunshots and screaming. The other one was moaning all night. The worst thing was that they put these leg wraps on me that inflated every two minutes or so, to keep my blood circulating. I would just drift off and those things would roar to life and squeeze my calves, waking me up again. I understand now the workings of sleep deprivation torture. It also didn't help that I was sick a couple of times from the anesthesia, and I had to ask for help every time I went to the bathroom. Overall, I'd rate being at a hospital a great big zero. Well, except for the "healing me" thing, that worked out okay.

The next day I was out of there almost before I could finish my breakfast. I guess I ate and peed to their satisfaction because they sent me straight home where I was greeted by enthusiastic family members (the dog was a bit TOO enthusiastic...jumping up on my belly was not a good feeling) and two beautiful bouquets of flowers from my family and Dan's brother's family. Today I'm very stiff and sore still, but I did manage to get out of the house to the dog park for a bit. And I've rested plenty too.

So, I made it. I can no longer claim that I've never been in the hospital. And I look forward to feeling much better once these stitches have dissolved. Thanks to everyone who encouraged me...it really means a lot.

Comments on "I survived!!!!"

 

Blogger Pam said ... (6:47 PM) : 

Yay! Glad to hear you are well! And good for you already at the dog park! You are a trooper!

Sorry you had yucky roommates! ;)

 

Blogger Mandy said ... (10:44 PM) : 

So glad to hear that everything went well! It's neat to compare the same procedure with someone else. They gave me ice chips as soon as I woke up in recovery, then wheeled me to my private room. I stayed there for about an hour, then they sent me home with lots of pain meds. But, I didn't leave the house for two days after my surgery. :) You'll probably feel lots better in no time.

 

Blogger Joy said ... (11:25 PM) : 

wooohooo... I knew you would be great... I so know what you mean about those legs things.. they woke me up also... and the nurse coming in every two hours.I never felt pain... but I am sure it was because they were giving me an injection every two hours.. lol. Take it easy.. you will feel great soon and want to over do.. don't do it trust me.

 

Blogger Kate said ... (2:51 PM) : 

See, you were worrying about nothing! I'm so glad it went well. Now you can concentrate on recovering and being pain-free!

Kate x

 

Blogger Sara said ... (10:38 AM) : 

Glad you're doing better!

BTW - How often do you make it into the City? I'm going to be up your way over Christmas, and will definitely be heading into Manhattan, at least to go to the Museum of Natural History. I'm staying in Jersey at my grandmothers, and I'm there from Dec.18-Jan.2. Let me know!

 

post a comment